I’m receiving a large amount of correspondence from constituents about Coronavirus (Covid-19). I'm taking up the important points residents are raising with me with Government Ministers, Public Health England and NHS Leaders.
If you are a constituent and you need direct support or assistance, then please do feel free to contact my constituency office at: firstname.lastname@example.org; or on 01273 201130. At times when face to face surgeries are not possible because of guidance, arrangements will be in place to have telephone surgeries, as well as measures to escale urgent enquiries more quickly.
Specifically, I have:
- Helped constituents stranded overseas and who need help to get back home
- Helped constituents who are not getting access to testing for coronavirus despite clear medical need
- Asked parliamentary questions about help for homeless people
- Lobbied cross party to ensure social care workers get fair access to sick pay in the coming months, with no disincentive to self-isolate if needed.
- Called on Ministers to ensure they immediately remove any obstacles and delays in the social security system to getting proper financial support, including for disabled people, those working in the gig economy, anyone facing benefits sanctions or job losses, those in receipt of or needing to claim statutory sick pay (SSP). I also back calls for SSP levels to be increased.
- Backed calls for an immediate freeze on Section 21 no-fault evictions and Section 8 evictions for rent arrears; as well as a ban on rent rises for the next 12 months.
- Urged Ministers to introduce a holiday from council tax for each household affected by the coronavirus, with compensation to councils for the lost revenue
The key websites offering official advice (Government, BHCC, NHS etc) are listed here https://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/helpful-advice
COMMUNITY RESPONSE: RECEIVING AND OFFERING HELP
There's been a brilliant community response with so many groups offering help to those in need, whether they are self-isolating or vulnerable. I'm adding to the list all the time. You can find it here https://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/information-and-support-in-brighton